Wednesday 31 August 2011

Amazon again.

I will apologise in advance for the tone of this entry, but I am tired, annoyed and lacking sleep.

I was up until 2:48 am last night trying to get this fixed, then up again at six a.m. to call their US office. The operator saw the issue and escalated it, which does not explain why the broken page is still live or the two contacts today who didn't believe the page is broken because they hadn't read the ticket. This is no longer even vaguely funny.

Recovery plan:
1) Add a link to "The Docks" website in the comment section of any feature.
2) Don't launch Conflict of Interest on Amazon Kindle: it will just annoy more readers when they can't get The Docks.
3) Keep chasing Amazon.
4) Suggest to the publisher they get Fire Season onto a different format.

Finally: If it's not fixed by the end of the week, pull The Docks off Amazon so the broken page doesn't wreck the COI launch.

Some of the emails I have received have made it quite clear that readers are not impressed. All I can say is that I am trying to fix this to the best of my ability, and I apologise profusely.

The decision I have to make is that the last two days were supposed to be final proofing for CoI. I'm not going to have time to do that now, unless I put the book back again which I am reluctant to do. Delay it - again - or release it with only one round of proofing corrections? Decisions, decisions...

No comments:

Post a Comment