Friday 8 October 2010

ISBN's registered - promotion underway

Well, the book's been through Neilsen and it now has a ISBN. The e-books are taking slightly longer as they apparently go through "Pubweb". My publisher has previously only allocated ISBNs to print books, so they're sorting out registration, but it all takes time.

On Monday, once the ISBN has propagated through to Neilsen's feed, the publisher will be chasing print distribution. Ideally I'd love to get it in Waterstones and WHSmiths, but I'm a realist and while they work on large scale distribution I'll be begging my local book store owners. At least I'm already a good - read, frequent - customer!

I did mention I'd been in publishing before, just not writing novels. If you do ever end up in this situation, I will say that dropping off a copy of your book, a press pack, and the name of a recognised distributor (particularly running Sale or Return) where they can buy it, makes it a lot more likely a few copies of your book will be picked up than handing across a book, press pack, and your phone number for consignment purchases.

No comments:

Post a Comment